Saint Louis University School of Law,
J.D., cum laude, 2003
Order of the Woolsack
B.A., magna cum laude, 2000
US Ct Appeals, 2nd Circuit (CT, NY, VT)
US Ct Appeals, 6th Circuit (KY, MI, OH, TN)
US Ct Appeals, 7th Circuit (IL, IN, WI)
US Ct Appeals, 8th Circuit (Covers AR, IA, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD)
US Ct Appeals, 9th Circuit (AZ, CA, HI, ID, MT, NV, OR, WA, Guam, M. Isles)
Illinois USDC, Northern District
Illinois USDC, Southern District
Michigan USDC, Eastern District
Missouri USDC, Eastern District
Missouri USDC, Western District
American Bar Association
Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Included in "Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers" Rising Stars list (by Thomson Reuters), 2013-2018
Thompson Coburn LLP
Brown & James, P.C.
Adjunct Professor of Business Law, 2006-2007
Stephen aggressively defends companies against consumer class action lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout the country as a member of Thompson Coburn's Business Litigation and Class Action departments.
He focuses his practice on defending consumer class actions and has defended companies in cases involving allegations of consumer fraud, product defect, false advertising, unfair trade practices and a number of other state and federal consumer protection laws. In addition to class actions, he has represented clients in other complex business and commercial litigation including cases involving shareholders rights, fiduciary duty claims and contract disputes.
Stephen has secured dismissals, summary judgments and denials of class certification in courts around the country. Some recent examples include:
- Secured a ruling in the Southern District of California denying class certification in a suit alleging defects in clutch hydraulic release system components.
- Obtained dismissal of a class action filed in the Eastern District of California based on plaintiff's inability to identify a precise defect theory.
- Secured judgment on the pleadings in an engine cradle corrosion class action pending in the Northern District of Ohio, which was affirmed by the Sixth Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal of an alleged clutch defect class action filed in the Southern District of Mississippi.
- Obtained dismissal on jurisdictional grounds of all out-of-state plaintiffs in a multi-state class action filed in the Northern District of New York.
- Secured summary judgment of named plaintiff's claims in a class action pending in the Central District of California.
Stephen also regularly handles disputes involving the confidentiality of company's documents. He has successfully defended against efforts by plaintiffs and public interest groups to make public documents containing confidential business information and trade secrets.
Although we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Also, we cannot treat unsolicited information as confidential. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an ‘engagement letter’).
By clicking the ‘ACCEPT’ button, you agree that we may review any information you transmit to us. You recognize that our review of your information, even if you submitted it in a good faith effort to retain us, and, further, even if you consider it confidential, does not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could and will be used against you. Please click the ‘ACCEPT’ button if you understand and accept the foregoing statement and wish to proceed.