Georgetown University Law Center,
J.D., cum laude
Editorial Board, Georgetown University Law Journal
B.S.F.S., magna cum laude
Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
Planning Committee, 2003-Present
Vice President, 2014-2015
Lawyers Association of St. Louis
Named Lawyer of the Year for Railroad Law in St. Louis by Best Lawyers, 2013, 2019, 2021 (by BL Rankings)
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2024 (by BL Rankings)
Listed in Missouri & Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005, 2007-2021 (by Thomson Reuters)
Lexology Client Choice Winner for Litigation - Missouri, 2019
Named to De Smet Jesuit High School’s Hall of Fame, 2017
Named a Client Service All-Star in Civil Litigation and Complex Tort and Commercial Litigation by BTI Consulting, 2014
Thompson Coburn LLP
Board of Directors, 2015-Present
Knights of the Cauliflower Ear
Missouri Athletic Club
Governor, Board of Trustees, 2001-2003
De Smet Jesuit High School
Former Chairman, Board of Trustees
Boys Hope/Girls Hope of St. Louis
Board of Directors, 1997-2008
Chairperson, 2005 Sports Celebrity Dinner
Nick is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is a highly experienced trial lawyer in all types of civil litigation, including commercial litigation, class action and personal injury defense.
Nick has served as lead counsel for major corporations in high-exposure cases in Missouri and Illinois state and federal courts, including venues considered plaintiff friendly, such as the City of St. Louis, and in other federal and state courts throughout the country. He has secured jury verdicts, summary judgments, favorable settlements and appellate victories in numerous cases involving alcohol distribution, FELA, health care, product liability, employment, class action, patent infringement and business litigation issues.
Nick's recent litigation results include unanimous published appellate court decisions from the Eighth Circuit and Missouri Court of Appeals affirming summary judgment rulings by trial courts. He also led the successful settlement of a significant lawsuit in the Circuit Court of the City of St. Louis. Nick has lectured at national trial lawyer seminars on federal preemption, juror evaluation and mitigation of damages.
He was the 2019 Lexology Client Choice Winner for Litigation - Missouri. From 2007-2024, Nick has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (by BL Rankings). In the 2021 edition, he was named St. Louis Lawyer of the Year for Railroad Law.
Nick has combined a successful trial practice with a wide range of civic and charitable endeavors in the St. Louis community. He serves on the board of directors for The Old Newsboys St. Louis, which supports numerous St. Louis charities, and is a former board member of Boys Hope Girls Hope of St. Louis and The Buddy Fund. Nick is a past president of the Missouri Athletic Club and a current member of the MAC nominating committee, and is the president of the Knights of the Cauliflower Ear, a historic social club in St. Louis. He is the former chair of the Board of Trustees for De Smet Jesuit High School, a current member of the President's Advisory Council (PAC), and in 2017 was elected to the school's Hall of Fame.
- Successful defense of commercial arbitration for defense clients; plaintiff received nothing and paid arbitration costs.
- Successful summary judgments from St. Louis City Circuit Court, Missouri Court of Appeals and United States District Court, Eastern District of Missouri.
- Defense verdict in St. Louis County Circuit Court for client after a five-day trial where plaintiff claimed over $1 million in damages; jury deliberated 45 minutes.
- Successful settlement after six-day trial (state court) for defendant liquor distribution client, following voir dire, opening statement and cross examination of opposing witnesses.
- Plaintiff verdict for corporate distributor client against manufacturer following seven-day trial (federal court).
- Successful verdict for railroad client (below last offer) following seven-day trial (state court) where plaintiff had multiple surgeries and sought over $2 million in damages.
- Defense verdict in patent infringement case for distribution client following 10-day trial (federal court) where corporate plaintiff sought multi-million dollars in damages.
- 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmance of a federal court summary judgment (2019).
- Missouri Court of Appeals affirmance of state court summary judgment (2018).
- Secured affirmance of summary judgments and defense verdict by Missouri Court of Appeals (2017).
- Obtained summary judgment for client in state court in assault case, affirmed by Missouri Court of Appeals, transfer denied by Missouri Supreme Court, cert denied, U.S. Supreme Court.
- Obtained summary judgment for client in state court in judicial estoppel matter, affirmed by Missouri Court of Appeals.
- Obtained writ of prohibition from Missouri Supreme Court for client asserting privilege issues.
- Received Sixth Circuit affirmance of federal court defense verdict in multi-million dollar unpaid commission claim following federal court trial in Kentucky for distribution client.
Although we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Also, we cannot treat unsolicited information as confidential. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an ‘engagement letter’).
By clicking the ‘ACCEPT’ button, you agree that we may review any information you transmit to us. You recognize that our review of your information, even if you submitted it in a good faith effort to retain us, and, further, even if you consider it confidential, does not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could and will be used against you. Please click the ‘ACCEPT’ button if you understand and accept the foregoing statement and wish to proceed.